+91 08736-253017
Bishop's House Mancherial P.O

HISTORY OF ADILABAD DIOCESE

Adilabd diocese comprises of the civil district of Adilabad, the northern most district in Telangana State. This area was under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Chanda until July 1999 when it was constituted as a new diocese by Pope John Paul II through Papal Bull “ad aptius consulendum” dated 23rd July 1999. The first bishop, Rev. Joseph Kunnath CMI was appointed by His Holiness John Paul through “ Quoniam oportei” of the same date, and was consecrated on 6th October 1999 on which date the new diocese came into existence.

The diosece has an area of 1621 sq.kms which is located between 77 and 80 degrees of the Eastern longitude and 18 and 19 degrees of the Northern latitudes. Its southern boundary is the river Godavari and East, West and North are the state of Maharashtra. The contiguous dioceses are Chanda in the north and East; Amaravathi in the West and Hyderabad and Warangal in the South. The CMI Congregation started the work in this area in 1962 when the Ordinariate of Chanda was established. Under the leadership of Bishop Januarius and his successor Bishop Vijay Anand of Chanda, communities were established in different parts, especially in interior villages of the districts of Adilabad.

The patron of the diocese is Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara. He had an integral vision on human life enkindling a new spirit through several movements like family apostolate, pastoral care, evangelization, ministry of the Word of God, emancipation of Dalits and downtrodden, print and other communication media, promotion of Indian cultural heritage, women’s empowerment and education. The district of Adilabad needs a reformation in this 21st century almost in the same lines as Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara responded to the needs of Kerala in the 19th century.

All Rights Reserved © 2016 www.adilabaddiocese.in
s
All Rights Reserved © 2016 adilabaddiocese.in
Archana Info Solutions (P) Ltd.